Monday, March 15, 2010


“Film Stills from the Sultan Family Home Movies.”

From Art Daily’s exhibit review:

The suburbs and their inhabitants have been a rich subject for photographers of the West, and included are Larry Sultan’s (American, b. 1946) “Film Stills from the Sultan Family Home Movies” (1943-1972), in which Sultan chose individual frames from his family’s home movies and enlarged them. Although the images feature the activities that epitomize suburban life, a sense of unease lurks beneath the surface of these images; cropped and grainy, they resemble surveillance or evidence photographs.

And from 1990, an interview with Larry Sultan in BOMB.

“The home movie stills were my point of departure. At that time in my life, I was obsessed with memory. I would watch my family’s movies, as a probe, kind of a petites madeleines.”

No comments:

Post a Comment